If you or your loved ones are suffering from diabetes, foods are so vital in maintaining your sugar level. Yes, it’s true that you will need tremendous discipline to follow what a Registered Dietitian ordered you to eat but if you want a healthy living and quality life, following diabetic food list is a must.
What is the recommended daily food portion?
Carbohydrates – about 50% to 60%
Carbohydrates are broken down into the simplest forms of sugar and glycemic index during the digestive process. If glycemic index became high this will cause blood glucose level to rise quickly and can develop insulin resistant, diabetes and high blood pressure.
List of Carbs Food Diabetic Can Eat
• Bran, Barley, oats porridge.
• Fruits – apple, berries, citrus, pears, peaches, rubard, and plum.
• Vegetables – avocados, broccoli, beans, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, cucumber, celery, lettuce, onions, mushrooms, peas, olives, pepper, tomatoes and spinach.
List of Carbs Food Diabetic Should Avoid
• Breakfast cereals –such as sugar coated cereals and cornflakes,
White bread, biscuits, cakes, bagels, pancakes, doughnuts, bun muffins, white and brown rice.
• Fruit – Prunes, dates, watermelon.
• Vegetables – potatoes, broad beans, parsnip, Swede
Protein – about 12% to 20%
Protein is made up of chemicals called amino acids, the building blocks of all body tissue.
List of protein food that diabetic can eat
• Vegetables – millet, beans, lentils, soybeans
• Nuts – pine nuts, peanuts and Brazil
• Free range chicken and turkey (skin to be removed)
• Non-intensively reared – beef lamb, pork and veal.
• Chicken eggs (NOT goose and duck eggs)
Fat – If you are diabetic, type of fat is important to control cholesterol level.
Fat food that diabetic can eat
• Vegetables oils – sesame, pure olive, sunflower, soybean, Avocados.
• Oily Fish – Tuna, salmon, mackerel, herrings.
• Nuts and seeds.
• Spreadable Unsaturated Margarine
Fatty food list that you can consume sparingly
• Whole fat milk butskimmed milk is preferable
• Butter, cheese, cream, full fat yoghurt, ice cream.
• Meat – pork and beef lamb.
• Poultry – battery-framed chicken, goose, duck and turkey.
• Eggs – especially from battery farmed chickens.
• Coconut oil.
Fatty food diabetic should avoid
• All processed foods such as scotch eggs, sausage pies, and the likes.
• Commercial fried foods such as crisps, chips and battered fish
• Margarine especially the hard one
• Ready-made commercial foods such as biscuits, cakes and snack foods.
Our bodies cannot absorb some of the food we eat if dietary fiber is absent in our system. Diabetic should also increase their intake of fiber rich foods. Fiber is a good protection against intestines disorders and even colon cancer and for better bowel function. It is generally recommended to have 5 portions of fiber-rich fruits and vegetables a day.
Fiber food diebetic should eat
• Oats, oat bran, oatmeal, peas, fruit and beans barley
Diabetic food list can eat and by no means exhaustive. They are here to help you to decide what and how much you can consume to manage your diabetes condition.